Sunday, January 16, 2011

Icon Writing with Kids–Veneration of St. Peter in Chains

Whilst evangelizing the Church of Christ, St. Peter was imprisoned by King Herod Agrippa who was against this new religion.  St. Peter was released from his chains by an angel of the Lord and led to safety (Acts 12:1-19).

We did a few new things in writing this icon.  This was our first small scale icon (9”X12”).  We also used crayons instead of paint.  Finally, this is my first totally original composition.  There are some things I could have done better, however, I am still learning and I am pleased with the result. 

Alex was much more patient with the crayons than with the paints.  I attribute his patience to the paper.  It was the right level coarseness to prevent slipping and going out of the lines.  Although, I think we both prefer large scale painting, because it is fun and challenging.

100_3513

100_3514

In this icon, I placed the Angel on top of a cross shape showing that the Angel was sent from the Lord and that Christ is his Savior both in being freed from sin and from his captivity.  There is a scroll by St. Peter showing that he brings the Word of God.

100_3519

After creating our icon we made chains of hope.

100_3522

No comments: