Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Laramie, Wyoming – Home On The Range

Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam
Where the deer and the antelope play
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day
Home, home on the range

How often at night where the heavens are bright
With the light of the glittering stars
Have I stood there amazed and asked as I gazed
If their glory exceeds that of ours

Home, home on the range
Where the deer and the antelope play
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day

Then give me a land where the bright diamond sand
Flows leisurely down to the stream
Where the graceful white swan goes gliding along
Like a maid in a heavenly dream
Oh I would not exchange my old home on the range
Where the deer and the antelope play
Where the seldom is heard a discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day

100_2565 100_2564100_2568 100_2561100_2562100_2558 100_2560

My husband and I took this series of pictures from the porch at my parents house.  This is where we fell in love.  There is something enchanting about the peace of the range, the glittering stars (the likes you’ve never seen in your life) and the purple mountains majesty. 

It was a little hard growing up here with the long winters and nothing to do all day but meander around on the prairie.  You can imagine the trouble the youth could get up to with a driver’s license and nothing to occupy them.  Although, our children are enjoying meandering the prairie.  It’s a nice place to visit for a while.  There are a lot of outdoorsman things to do.  It’s a rough and tumble life here.

2 comments:

Kayleen said...

Amazing shots of the land! I love how the sky looks like it stretches on forever and ever. Quite beautiful. You were lucky to have grown up there, with so much space.

anne said...

mm, this reminds me of my own hometown (but with more green on your side). I love to go back and visit, too! Some day, you'll have to come visit Daddy's house, and we can go visit your folks :) It'd be great to see where we grew up!

the word verification today is: unuffutu.. ?