Sunday, February 14, 2010

An Old Fashioned Valentine

For our St. Valentine’s Day celebration we had a private celebration of our love and a little more French cooking.  It was a cooking collaboration, but I think my darling husband had the more difficult portion. We made sauté veal with a mushroom cream sauce, risotto and blanched broccoli.  It was so rich we could hardly finish it and we chased it with chocolate covered strawberries.  It was a pricey home-made meal, but it still cost less than half of what we spent at a ritzy restaurant last year (although I do miss the wine pairing). 

Andrew began his cooking endeavor with an Old Fashioned.  He touted it as his best Old Fashioned yet and therefore, he took a picture to commemorate it (he also insisted I post his picture).

100_1862

Then he prepped his ingredients and he was pretty proud of those results too, therefore he took another picture.  I think he was really starting to get into it.

100_1859

It was the first time I had ever made risotto.  It tasted like pretty darn good risotto to me.  I do not recall having had a better risotto.

 100b1880

Bon Appétit!

1 comment:

anne said...

aah, that looks very tasty! What's in an old fashioned? I've always wanted to try it.

Andrew seems to be a very good sous chef (is that the right word?). I'm very glad you two had a good dinner. You definitely deserve a nice night together!

You're totally right about dining-in dinners vs. dining out. Always cheaper (and in my opinion, much better!) than eating out.

Um.. I miss you guys. :)