Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Wisdom Stuck on Replay - More Inner Thoughts You Shouldn't Know

A wise man once said, "Disordered thoughts mean a disordered mind."

(Chew on that one for a while.)

As we were driving home from church on Sunday Andrew and I were discussing various things. I threw out there as we past a Methodist church. "If I weren't Catholic, I might have chosen to be Methodist." Andrew did not ask me why I had said that. It's a wierd thing to say. So I thought I might spark and interesting conversation about other religions.

He simply replied, "If I weren't Catholic (this includes Eastern Catholic and Orthodox, which had come up before in our conversation) I wouldn't be anything." I was a bit surprised, but only for a moment and then I said,

"Oh Andrew, you old Nihilist." I was somewhat fascetious and somewhat serious. But my comments SURPRISED him.

"What do you mean?" He exclaimed.

"Oh, well you are always looking at the darker side of things. You see the world for the fallen place that it is. Your favorite movies are dark nihilistic movies" Then he said,

"Yes, that is somewhat it. I seek Truth. If I were not choosing only Truth, then there wouldn't be anything else for me. So that is what I mean when I say that I wouldn't be anything. Because anything else is not Truth. There literally would not be any thing if not Truth."

2 comments:

anne said...

My mind must be very disordered... :-/

But on the other hand, I can totally see where Andrew is coming from.. and I can totally see why you called him a nihilist ;)

anne said...

oh, and I miss Ss. Cyril and Methodius!! And you two (four)...