Friday, March 6, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday - While Christ Was on the Cross

1. I saw a news headline that said the Seinfeld cast was reuniting for his new show. Wouldn’t it be fun if the Seinfeld Show came back on the air? They would pick up with the same cast and characters and a few new characters like Jerry should have a wife on the show. That would be great. We’ve all had a break from that show and it would be nostalgic for those who used to watch and it would new to the next generation. It would also be the first show to ever come back from retirement.

2. Alexander story of the week – We had a scare last weekend. We thought Alexander might have a cavity. He was complaining that something in his mouth hurt, he wouldn't eat much, and woke up crying in the night. He said his mouth hurt. He would not eat. Further, he has never been compliant about letting us brush his teeth well on a regular basis. So we were a bit frantic about it. I started calling dentists on Monday. No one will see a child under three. Finally, I was able to get him in with the only pediatric dentist in town (she's only open 3 days a week). He was still complaining about it Monday morning. But, when I picked him up from daycare that evening the caretakers said he didn't complain all day and ate well. So the next morning I canceled the appointment. I think his pain was either associated with his nasty cold he also had over the weekend, or he had a sore in his mouth. Andrew later admitted to giving him sunflower seeds!!! The package clearly states not to give the seed to children under three. Anyway, the message of this story is brush your kids' teeth even when they don't want to. 4,500th time you do it, they will learn. ;-)

3. Kristiana story of the week – Last night something awoke me. I wasn’t quite sure what it was, but 15 seconds later I heard it again. It was my precious daughter letting out the loudest farts you’ve ever heard come from a little bit. I thought, “Dang girl, you woke your mamma up with all that noise!” She was letting off stream after stream of farts all night long. The funniest part was that she was dead asleep. It didn’t bother her. She’s the gassiest baby I have ever met. Other people have commented about her gassiness—from both ends. A couple weeks ago she farted really loud in church. You can imagine our embarrassment. People who were not looking at her did not know it was her. Oftentimes, she lets out a little baby grunt when she pushes it out. This might be an issue later on when we have to explain to her that she needs to work out how to do this quietly. :-(

4. Did anyone else see the political commentary on Ugly Betty last night about the Bailout? Scathing. I was skeptical about where they were going with it at first. The company on the show did not get their bailout. The owner had to put up his own assets. Betty and her family did not get their bailout, nor did Betty want a bailout. Her father earned it instead. In the resolution of all the dilemmas on this episode of the show, the final message was, “Do the right thing.” We all know that there is a right way and a wrong way to deal with money matters and interpersonal relations. So, do the right thing.

5. My Lenten soul refurbishment is not going as well as I had hoped. I definitely need to spend more time praying. I haven’t gone for reconciliation yet and I had hoped to make it a weekly practice. If you get a chance, say a little prayer for me that I may make more frequent reconciliation. It’s more important than you can imagine.

6. I did not cook dinner at all this week: one dinner at a friend’s house, two frozen pizza’s, one sandwich on the run to church, and Taco Bell bean burritos tonight. It is totally weird to not have cooked for five whole days. I love cooking, but on the other hand, it’s kind of nice to have had a break. Even with this little break I have found it difficult to get little things done, let alone do anything extra like pray, read, knit, etc.


7.“While Christ was on the Cross, you were on His mind.” Remember His labor of Love.


P.S. I started Atlas Shrugged. I am on page 30 of 1063. So far, it’s brilliant.

No comments: